Clicky

This morning I noticed that we are receiving errors with incoming emails on all libraries within our farm.  Up until the other day it was working correctly.  At this point in time emails/attachments are not getting to SharePoint.  Emails do make it to the drop folder of the mailroot.
 
No updates were done to the servers, no account changes.
 
Environment:  SharePoint 2010 SP1 CU's through August.
 
Error:  ID 6874 "An error occurred while attempting to create an attachment for an item sent via e-mail.  The URL is invalid.  It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder, or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current web.
 
During my initial research a lot of posts on Forefront security for SharePoint, which we do not have configured and FCSrealtimescanner.exe is not running anywhere.
 
Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

asked 12/12/2011 03:52

GenePA's gravatar image

GenePA ♦♦


6 Answers:
and the files that reach the dropbox - they contain the attachment? If they do then it is unlikely to be a Forefront issue. Is it possible someone has re-run the Sharepoint wizard for configuring inbound email and changed something here?
link

answered

keith_alabaster's gravatar image

keith_alabaster

Thanks for the response Keith.  Attachments are getting to the dropbox and appear ok.  The inbound email config in CA looks fine, nothing unusual in there.

Another thing I find strange is that right after the event log message it gives an information event indicating that the email service completed a batch successfully.

The Incoming E-Mail service has completed a batch.  The elapsed time was 00:00:00.3144330.  The service processed 1 message(s) in total.

The service successfully processed 1 message(s):
Message ID: <5555CA24F48A494AA8850D4192F9C67FCF897DF2@123.mycompany.com>
link

answered 2011-12-13 at 05:01:08

GenePA's gravatar image

GenePA

Update:

After turning on verbose logging for email I discovered an error with a CLSID of 93227a84-1e52-47f4-b758-210d37433b7f.  Which belongs to an AvePoint product called DocAve which we use.  

This link helped me diagnose the issue:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlreportingservices/thread/4a0ec5fa-eed8-4167-9f15-593aea5bc6ad.

Doing a repair of DocAve corrected the issue.

Pain in the butt since the event ID of 6874 really didn't tell me anything or point me in any meaningful direction.  Hope this helps somebody else out.
link

answered 2011-12-13 at 06:53:31

GenePA's gravatar image

GenePA

After further research was able to solve own issue.  Not a lot of feedback from forum.

link

answered 2011-12-13 at 11:23:10

GenePA's gravatar image

GenePA

Can't say I would have identified that as the issue anytime this side of the year 2020 :)
Nice catch.
link

answered 2011-12-13 at 11:24:26

keith_alabaster's gravatar image

keith_alabaster

That's a bit naughty Gene. I responded at lunch time UK time when I was first able to look at new questions. I have only been home from work 30 minutes so not exactly had a lot of time to be instantaneous.

Glad you have found the issue and resolved it but I have a day job that has to be worked around :(
link

answered 2011-12-13 at 11:24:33

keith_alabaster's gravatar image

keith_alabaster

Your answer
[hide preview]

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Tags:

×17

Asked: 12/12/2011 03:52

Seen: 317 times

Last updated: 12/17/2011 05:20